The following sections are intended to help you effectively host a Beta Alpha Psi meeting.
Things to Keep in Mind
- Please keep presentations to around fifty minutes. This time also includes any time you would like for questions.
- Firm promotion is not allowed during the presentation. Remember, these meetings are intended to impart information to our members. Firm promotion is limited to the firm branded PowerPoint that may be used.
- Please do not disparage other firms.
Professional Skills Meeting Topics
Starting for the 2013-2014 school year, we are required to have one firm speak on one of the following topics:
- Facilitation Skills – This session will help students to learn what to expect when in a professional situation that involves a group discussion format. When speaking in front of a professional group, it should address what physical gestures to enhance or avoid.
- Managing Distractions – Emails, phone calls and co-workers stopping by your desk to talk – This session will cover how to handle inevitable disruptions to keep one focused and productive.
- Ethical Decision Making Skills – Accountancy is based on trust. This session will distinguish one’s core values, ethical decision making.
- Negotiation Skills – Negotiation skills are extremely important in maintaining focus in one’s career. This session should cover the basics of negotiations; information gathering, learning to listen, leveraging the situation, goals of the negotiation, costs of the negotiation, bargaining phase and closing the negotiation process.
- Conflict Management – Conflict in the workplace is a reality that everyone will encounter at some point in their careers. This session will include tips on how to quickly identify conflict, assess the issue, how to manage oneself and the parties involved and resolve the issue professionally.
- Change Management – This session will help students to get informed on what to expect and how to deal with change in the work environment whether it will be a departmental change or organizational change.
Example Meeting Topics
Please keep in mind these are just suggestions and not to be an all inclusive list of acceptable meeting topics. Your firm may choose to present on a variation of one of the following topics or something completely different. If you need more help on deciding if your topic is right, please contact us.
- Audit of Financial Statements
- Improving Communication Skills
- Business Practices in Other Countries
- Developing Leadership Skills
- Time Management
- Stress Management
- The Paperless Audit
- Marketing Business Services
- Professional Liability
- Internet for Financial Information Research
- Comparing Different Career Paths
- Management of Accounting/Consulting Practice
- Derivatives and Financial Instruments
- Fraud Detection
- New Tax Laws
- Implementing New Systems
- Off Balance Sheet Risk
- Going Public (IPOs)
- Corporate Finance
- Systems Development
- Forensic Accounting
- Not-for-Profit Accounting
- Interviewing Skills
- Legislative Changes Impacting Business
- Historical cost accounting
- Fair Market Value Accounting
- Mark to Market Accounting
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Fraud Issues
- Budgeting and Forecasting
- How Companies are Adapting to Green Initiatives
- Social Responsibility
- International Business Etiquette
- Effective Use of Social Networking in a Business Environment
- Banking Topics
- Top Technology Trends
- SEC Functions
- Valuation Models